I found the material handed out in class quite informative. I did not have the same situation as Shannon Nichols in school but one kind of similar. I was in ninth grade and I had to write an essay for my history class. I had wrote essays before and when I applied myself I was nearly a 4.0 student. So I read what I was supposed to out of my history book to write this essay. Reading for me has never been easy because I constantly have to go back and reread because I have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Because of this my mind likes to wonder uncontrollably. So I worked really hard and spent a lot of time on getting this essay done and I turned it in. To my shock and very disturbing news, when I got my paper back it had a big red F on it and the only explanation next to the F was not an essay. I asked the teacher what he meant and he just told me again that it was not an essay and I was stuck with the grade. I did not even get a chance for a second try. I already had enough trouble with reading and this, I feel made it really hard to have the want or confidence to write. Since I have came back to school writing has got quite a bit easier for me. I have also got a lot of good feedback from instructors on the writing I have done. This has helped a lot. Unfortunately, I still have a hard time reading. I read what I have to, just most of the time it takes me quite a while longer than it should.
I am sorry that happened to you. Your teacher sounds like he is a jerk. I had teachers like that when I was in high school. They are the reasons that I skipped class. I was not going to put up with their crap. I am glad that you are now having better experiences.
ReplyDeleteI've spent my education being home schooled so I haven't had that kind of experience. But all the same, it's really terrible that you or anyone for that matter would have to go through an experience like that. I couldn't imagine having a teacher like that. I don't know how I'd put up with that. It is good to hear that things are working out for you.
ReplyDeleteThank you for taking the time to read my story. Katherine, thank you for your sympathies and taking the time to put your self in my shoes even though you have never had to experience anything like that. My cousins were home schooled for a lot of their schooling as well. I am glad I wasn't home schooled though. I had a lot of good experiences when I was in school. You will be reading one of my experiences that I had in school in next weeks assignment.
ReplyDelete