Fall quarter of 2010, I came to Olympic College as a student in the work first program, enrolled in the C.S.A.L.T. “College Skills and Life Training” class. In this class we had a different teacher Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. On Thursday we had an English teacher for the first half of the day and the second half we spent with the teacher I am writing this paper about. The second half of Thursday, I had Shiboan Fitz-Patrick as an instructor for our job skills class. Shiboan was an excellent teacher because she was very educated in her field, she cared about her students, and she always had a positive attitude.
I came into the class two weeks after the quarter had started and Shiboan immediately started helping me and the other students that came into the class at the same time. She quickly had us caught up with the rest of the class for the most part. Any question that anyone in the class asked she always had a very educated answer for and could elaborate if needed, to make sure we all understood. Here I was thirty four years old and had never made a resume before and was quite overwhelmed by the whole idea. Shiboan took it step by step explaining each step of creating a cover page and resume very thoroughly. She explained what employers are looking for in a resume and what will get it thrown out at first glance. She explained in specific details how to prepare for and present ourselves during an interview. Shiboan not only had a lot of information to give about Olympic College's hiring procedures and job market resources. She also knew a lot about job market resources and job opportunities in the community. I have learned quite a bit about job seeking in the past but I cannot say that I have ever came across anyone that was as educated as Shiboan was in her field of career services.
Great start to your paper. I look forward to reading the rest of your paper. I really enjoyed Shiboan too. She was a lot of fun and she was really nice.
ReplyDelete